It’s that time of year again, when college students, high schoolers and families will embark on the epic journey we all know and love as SPRING BREAK. For some it may mean taking a trip down to the beaches of Cancun or Florida, sitting on a nine hour flight to see those “long lost relatives” that live in the South of Spain, or road trippin’ three states over to see your favorite band in concert. Whatever it may be, the choices we make as individuals can pile up into a huge environmental mess. Here at iMatter, we believe in being green all year ’round, so here are a few tips to keep in mind before you lather up in sunscreen:
- Carpool: This is perhaps the easiest thing you could do (besides of course, just staying at home and enjoying that long lost sleep). Find people around your school or town that are headed to the same destination (if it’s popular, you can bet that you’re not the only one going) and pile on in. Splitting gas means less gas will be used and the price will be cheaper per person (have you noticed the recent rise in gas prices?…Orange County is getting hit hard right now!), and you’ll make new friends!
- Keep recycling! Just because you’re on vacation, that doesn’t mean you can’t continue your home habits on the road.
- Avoid vacations that aren’t environmentally friendly. For example, Cruises (although they may seem like fun) generate exponential amounts of waste.
- “Cheap” vacation packages doesn’t always mean better. Chances are, someone is paying to make up for the discounted tickets (airline, hotel room, etc.)…and it’s probably the workers at your exotic resort being paid illegal, horrible, dirt cheap wages.
- Grab your local newspaper and check out the fun things happening around town. There are always volunteer opportunities in the community and now you finally have a week off to get your hands dirty! Look for fun environmental projects–gardening around the YMCA club, park trash pick-ups, beach clean-ups, etc.
- They don’t call it SPRING CLEANING for nothing! Now open up those old closet doors and get to it. All of the “old” stuff you don’t wear anymore? Donate it instead of throwing it away. Garage sales are also great! One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.
Remember, there’s always plenty of fun to be had walking to the park with a picnic basket, a frisbee, and a ukelele! Have fun and be smart over your Spring Break…you’ll be happy you did!